We all know that wine is the beverage of choice in Game of Thrones, but it’s finally feeling like spring so I think I’d prefer sangria! Fresh fruit, sparkling ginger ale, and brandy. You can’t beat it! Want a kid-friendly option? Switch the wine for pink lemonade, and skip the brandy and there you have it. A mocktail sangria! Make a pitcher for a crowd, or pull a Cersei and just have more wine. The night may be dark and full of terrors but this sangria is refreshing and sweet!
“Oh, my sweet summer child,” Old Nan said quietly, “what do you know of fear? Fear is for the winter, my little lord, when the snows fall a hundred feet deep and the ice wind comes howling out of the north. Fear is for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little children are born and live and die all in darkness while the direwolves grow gaunt and hungry, and the white walkers move through the woods”George R. R. Martin
I like to use a red wine that is on the dry side, that way I can control the sweetness that I add to it. This is also a great #usewhatyougot recipe! Use the fruit that you have on hand! Don’t have brandy? Feel free to use bourbon, vodka, or gin!
Sweet Summer Child Sangria
- 1 apple diced
- 1 cup berries (I like a mix of strawberries raspberries and blueberries
- 1 bottle of wine or 3 cups of lemonade if going sans-alcohol
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 8 oz bottle of pomegranate juice
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 1/4 cup brandy
- Orange slices for garnishing optional
- Add the fruit. I like the apples and strawberries diced, but I will just throw in whole raspberries and blueberries.
- Add orange, lemon, and pomegranate juices.
- Add wine, or lemonade, and brandy (omit for sans-alcohol option).
- Top with ginger ale and stir.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes for all the flavors to combine.
- Serve in a large jar or goblet.