A few days ago we went strawberry picking and the mom part of my brain was like, “Give the kids their own buckets so they don’t fight over one and spill strawberries every where.” That resulted in bringing home 2 gallons of strawberries, and I soon realized that that was WAY too many strawberries! So I’m trying to figure out what to make with all of them. I hope you are ready for a few strawberry recipes! Because you’re getting them!
To start, a Spicy Strawberry Simple Syrup for all of the Quarantine Cocktails you’re making! You can really play with the heat levels if want. Don’t want it spicy at all? Skip the peppers. Want it super spicy? Add more, or keep the seeds. It would be super tasty in just about any drink too. Spicy Strawberry Margaritas are on my menu for Cinco de Mayo now! But this would be tasty with bourbon and ginger ale too! You could make a mean mocktail too, just by adding it to lemonade. The possibilities are truly endless! Cheers!
Spicy Strawberry Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup strawberries quartered
- 1 cup water
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and roughly chopped
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan over medium heat
- Cook until the sugar has completely dissolved and the strawberries and peppers have softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and let everything steep together for another 5 minutes.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the syrup into a glass jar. Re-purposing a strawberry jelly jar felt right to me! Let cool.
- Create your own cocktail or mocktail! Cheers!