We eat a lot of salmon in our house. I think all of my fish recipes here are salmon and that is because my son specifically has always LOVED it. When he was first starting to eat solid food, he would eat salmon until his stomach was hard and visibly full! So when I make salmon for dinner, I make a lot. But because of Covid, I know that isn’t the case for everyone. Some are making smaller meals because there are fewer people around the table. Some are eating less higher cost items because of budget restrictions. So I wanted to pass along one of our all time favorite dinners! It is easy to make for 1 or to scale up to a family meal.
Fancy Dinner For One
My Salmon + Lemon Caper Sauce is something I’ve been making for my husband since we were dating in college. It is simple, delicious, and you can make everything in one pan. Which is great for him because I don’t do dishes! The recipe below is for 1 serving so if you are craving something maybe a little fancier for a weeknight dinner, you got it! But if you are feeding more people, just cook more salmon and make more sauce! It is very easy to make more servings of this recipe. You might want to make more of this sauce anyway because it is good on basically everything!
I like to serve this with some roasted veggies, whatever is in the fridge or on sale. No need to get crazy here. Roasted veggies are always a great side! I also like put something under the fish to soak up even more sauce. Try rice, quinoa, or couscous!
Salmon + Lemon Caper Sauce
- 1 serving of salmon
- Salt + Pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp caper
- Splash of caper brine
- 1 tsp fresh dill finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Juice of 1/4-1/2 lemon to taste and depending on the size of the lemon
- Preheat a pan to medium heat.
- Season the salmon with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Add some olive oil to the hot pan, then place the salmon skin side UP. Cook for about 5 minutes and then flip.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or until it flakes easily with a fork.
- If your piece of fish is thicker and starts to get brown and crispy before it is cooked through, just remove it from the heat and cover it for a few minutes.
- Remove the salmon from the pan and let it rest while you make the sauce.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the garlic and the capers. Cook for 1-2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Add the yogurt, dill, brine, lemon zest and juice. Whisk together until everything is smooth and creamy.
- Taste and see if you need to add more lemon or salt. Remember the capers will be salty so wait until the capers and brine are added before adding more salt!