Whew. This week has been a dooooozy! This week’s insanity and today’s freezing temps call for a warm and tasty bowl of stew!
Let me catch you up. The kids were home for Winter Break, I SNEEZED AND HURT MY BACK, and then I had a reaction to my allergy shots yesterday. It’s always fun to have a productive day planned, and have those plans interrupted by 2 shots of epinephrine. On top of all that, it’s been raining in Atlanta for basically the entire month of February and I. AM. OVER. IT. But today the sun is out! It’s cold, but I can see blue skies and I’m coming back to life. I don’t know how you people in the PNW do it, but I also feel like I understand grunge music a little better now.
So pull out your pressure cookers and get this one in your belly! It is warm, spicy, and so filling! I used boneless pork chops, but you can use whatever cut of pork you like slash whatever is on sale. OR chicken. OR add more beans/hominy/vegetable broth to make it vegetarian. Need it to be gluten-free? Skip the flour. I love how soups and stews can be switched up to meet any dietary need!
Once you’ve stewed your stew, top it with some tasty toppings. I like mine with avocado, feta and some crunchy radish. But use what you like and whatever you have! You seriously can’t go wrong with this one!
Pork + Poblano Stew
- Pressure cooker or Instant Pot
- 1 lb boneless pork chops cut into bite sized chunks
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion diced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz can of hominy drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 small head of cabbage shredded (or ½ of a large head)
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- Optional toppings feta, radish, avocado, lime, pico de gallo
- Turn pressure cooker onto the saute setting. Once it is hot, add a drizzle of olive oil and brown the pork.
- Stir in flour and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and give it a good stir. Bring it up to a boil.
- Change the setting on your pressure cooker to the Meat/Stew setting (on mine it is High pressure for 20 minutes).
- Manually release the pressure and the stew is done!
- Serve with toppings of choice! It would be great with lime, pico de gallo, avocado, cheese, and radish! Enjoy!