Pineapples have been on sale recently, so I bought one thinking my kids would love it. Well, as is typical of children, they no longer love pineapple. So there I was with an entire pineapple to eat by myself. I was up to the challenge, but I wanted to get a little creative. Sure I could throw it into some yogurt, or sprinkle some chile lime seasoning on it for a snack. But no. Pineapple salsa was just CALLING MY NAME. So I tweaked my 5 minute Pico de Gallo (see my Instagram highlights for the recipe) and Pineapple Pico was born!
Is there anything better than a spicy sweet combo? Probably, but that’s not the point of this post. The point is that the sweetness of the pineapple, with the spiciness of the jalapeno, and the savoriness of the salt, onion, and chile powder are delicious. And you should make this Pineapple Pico for your next #tacotuesday.
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno or more if you’re feeling spicy
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Combine all ingredients.
- Let it sit on the counter for about 30 minutes, letting the flavors marinate together.
- Taste and adjust any seasonings.
- Serve with your favorite tacos! This would be AMAZING over my Skillet Steak Fajitas or my Honey Chipotle Glazed Salmon!