I have to admit something to you. I used to hate pimento cheese. I don’t know why? Maybe because I never had GOOD pimento cheese. Maybe it was because I went through a phase when I hated mayonnaise. I don’t think I really ever enjoyed it until I moved to Atlanta. What do you know? People in Atlanta know how to make Southern classics like pimento cheese right!
Phase 2 on what I like to call my P.C. journey took me to LIKING it, but avoiding it because *GASP* its not healthy! So much cheese! So much mayo (which I realized wasn’t awful). Plus it was always served with crackers and I had not an ounce of control while eating it. I’ve come a long way from there, and I am no longer deathly afraid of food. That, and I have figured out how to eat some of these more indulgent foods that I love in a way that doesn’t make me feel gross afterward using some substitutions and moderation.
Now I make my Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad pretty regularly. If I have any leftover chicken, you can bet your boots I’m making some form of chicken salad and this one never fails me. I swap most of the mayo for Greek Yogurt, and the addition of shredded chicken adds protein and makes up the volume from using less cheese. Plus the kids love it, so that is always bonus points around here. Oh, and if I’m feeling fancy I’ll wrap it up in egg roll wrappers and throw them in the air fryer. These eggrolls are BOMB. You need them in your life. I promise.
Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad
For the chicken salad:
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/4 cup diced pimentos drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot sauce to taste
- Egg roll wrappers
- Small bowl of water
To make the chicken salad:
- Just put everything in a bowl and mix it together!
To make eggrolls:
- Take an egg roll wrapper and brush some water around the edges. This will help it seal and close.
- Place about 2 tbsp of Pimento Cheese Chicken Salad in the middle of the wrapper.
- Wrap up like, well, an egg roll. Fold in the 2 side corners and then roll starting at the bottom corner until everything is rolled together and sealed.
- Bake in the air fryer at 400° for about 5-7 minutes until brown and crispy.
- Let them cool for a few minutes before enjoying!
Find more healthy dinner recipes HERE.