You guys. I made a vegan meal! I’m a little shook because it was delightful. I mean, its basically a taco so it can’t be bad!
But in all seriousness, I feel like I fall into the trap of “I’m not vegan/paleo/whole30/keto/etc.” so I can’t eat that” a lot. I’ve tried a lot of these lifestyles/diets and I’ve honestly found some tasty recipes. I’ve learned there are some aspects of each one that work for me, and some aspects that don’t. I can pick and choose what works because I know what is working best for my body and lifestyle. If you are avoiding certain foods just because they fit in one box, and your’e typical “diet” falls into another, I want to encourage you to try something new! You never know, you may find a new food that you just enjoy, or something that makes you feel great! Is there a food you’ve tried recently that you were pleasantly surprised by? Leave a note in the comments and give us all some new ideas!
Crispy Tofu Tostadas
- 14 oz package of Firm Tofu
- 2 tbsp chile powder
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 Siete Almond Flour Tortillas (I got mine at Whole Foods)
- Hot sauce of choice
- Cole slaw mix, radish, other raw veggies for crunch
- Vegan refried black beans
- Open tofu and drain the package. Break apart into bite sized pieces. The nooks and crannies of the chunks help it get crispy, and hold onto the sauce better!
- Set on a clean kitchen towel, and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to draw out the moisture. You could leave it in the fridge over night as well. The drier the better.
- When you are about to cook, take another towel and gently press any excess moisture out.
- In a small bowl, combine chile powder, tomato paste, vinegar, soy sauce, and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix together to form a paste.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add tofu chunks to hot pan and let it brown and crispy, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add paste into skillet. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly whisk in water until it becomes thick and saucy.
- Add tofu into sauce and mix until it is well coated.
- Toast the tortillas: Either toast them in a hot, dry skillet until crispy (maybe 30 seconds or so per side), or on a pan under the broiler. Just keep a close eye on them because they will go from crispy to burned real quick.
- Warm up the beans however you like. In a bowl in the microwave, in a pan on the stove…I trust you’re bean warming abilities either way!
- Assemble the tostadas: Spread beans onto crispy tortilla and add slaw mix and crispy saucy tofu. Top with avocado, hot sauce, salsa, vegan cheese…basically all of your fave taco toppings!