It’s officially SPRINGTIME. The weather is warmer, the days are getting longer, everything is turning yellow from pollen. I am “half-cinated” (aka I got my first Covid shot) and I’m seeing the light at the end of this tunnel. I want fun in all its form. Fun with family and friends. Fun outdoors. And fun with my food. My Crispy Cod Sandwich + Chili Mango Slaw is just the thing for a little fun at dinner time!
I made the cod in the air fryer and it got golden, crispy, and cooked through perfectly. Top that with a crunchy, sweet, and tangy slaw and OH MAN. This has become a meal that my kids ask for often. If the idea of dredging your fish is a little intimidating, check out my IGTV on how I make my Air Fryer Goat Cheese Fritters. I use the same dredging technique for the cod! It is really simple, although I personally always make a mess. But hey, that’s why I got a Roomba!
Making Quick Pickled Onions is something we do almost weekly. My recipe is in the image below! You’ll want to make these about an hour before you’re ready to add them to the slaw.
So if you are like me and craving FUN in all its forms, give this cod sandwich a try!
Crispy Cod Sandwich + Chili Mango Slaw
- Air fryer
- 1 lb cod cut into 4 pieces – if you are using frozen leave it in the fridge overnight to defrost
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tsp Chili lime seasoning
Chili Mango Slaw
- 16 oz bag of coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup mayo
- Zest + Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions see images below
- 1 mango thinly sliced
- Handful of cilantro chopped
- Salt to taste
BUILD THE SANDWICH
- 4 burger buns of choice
- Optional Toppings: avocado pickled jalapeno, hot sauce of choice
- Make pickled onions about an hour before you plan on eating them! You’ll want them to sit on the counter for a bit before adding them to the slaw.
Chili Mango Slaw
- In a large bowl whisk together the mayo, lime zest, lime juice, and chili powder, and a pinch of salt. Mix the slaw into the dressing and let it sit while you prep the fish.
- Once the fish is in the air fryer, come back to the slaw. Add in the mango, pickled onion, and cilantro. Mix everything together and taste. Add more salt if needed.
- If you are using frozen fish, make sure you fully defrost it and REALLY pat it dry.
- Get ready to dredge the fish. Add the flour, egg, and panko into their own separate bowls. Then, taking one piece of fish at a time, just go down the line.
- Lightly dust the fish in flour, then coat it in the egg. Set the fish into the panko bowl and gently press the bread crumbs onto all sides of the fish. Set aside while you repeat these steps for the rest of the fillets.
- Preheat your air fryer for about 5 minutes before adding the fish.
- Cook at 350° for 8-10 minutes. You want it to be golden brown and crispy, and firm.
Build your sandwich!
- You really just need a bun, a piece of fish, and however much slaw you like. You will probably have more than enough for 4 sandwiches. It stores well and is good as leftovers aka doesn’t get soggy. I like to add avocado and pickled jalapenos to mine for a little extra flavor, texture, and spice!