Waking up on Christmas morning is the best. My husband and I get up early for a cup of coffee, get breakfast started, and make sure everything is under the tree. Then the kids come downstairs and the fun begins! Usually, it’s Eric’s job to read the Christmas story from either his Bible or the Jesus Storybook Bible, but this year Lucy is old enough that she can read some as well. Then we dig into breakfast and presents. It’s the absolute best! This year we will be having Christmas Morning Bread!
Holiday mornings in our house are NOT for feasting. That will come later, but you know I love a slow morning. That means making an overnight breakfast casserole, or a quick bread that is ready to warm up and serve when we wake up. I will not wake up and rush. No thank you.
This year I was craving a gingerbread loaf or cake or muffin, but I also wanted to feel like it was a “good” breakfast option. So I combined banana bread with gingerbread. This recipe has no oil, uses whole wheat flour, and is only sweetened by the bananas and molasses. It’s a great everyday breakfast bread! But what makes it special, especially for Christmas morning, is the glaze! Make the bread the day before. Then on Christmas morning, while you make your coffee, warm it up in the oven and make the glaze to pour on top! Christmas Morning Bread with Vanilla Bourbon Glaze will soon be a Christmas tradition!
Christmas Morning Bread
Christmas Morning Bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/3 buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
Vanilla Bourbon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp softened butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp bourbon
Make the bread
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a loaf pan with butter or oil.
- In a blender combine bananas, eggs, molasses, buttermilk, and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool while you make the glaze (recipe below).
Make the glaze
- Mix everything together until it is a smooth and pourable consistency.
- Pour over your Christmas Morning Bread!
**This post contains affiliate links to products I use and love. I hope you love them too!**