Crispy Oven Wings + Air Fryer Wings
I do not care about football. Especially professional football. I can get behind MY teams if the games are exciting. But let’s face it, Georgia Tech isn’t the most exciting team so I’m rarely in sports mode. I do however love me some sports food. Stadium nachos are high on that list, and if you come at me with “But is that even cheese?” I will question our friendship. I care not. Give me all the yellow “cheese food” and jalapenos! And, of course, hot and crispy chicken wings!
And is there anything better than digging into a plate of delicious chicken wings? When I’m just cooking for myself and the hubs, the air fryer does the trick. But when its game day party time, I’m going to need more than my air fryer can hold, so I make them in the oven. How does one get crispy wings in the oven you ask? Magic. Just kidding! The secret is baking soda. Just pat the wings dry with a some paper towels, add a bit of baking soda to the seasoning, and bake on a baking sheet with an wire rack so that the heat gets to all sides of the chicken. Boom. Crispy wings. Then, just sauce ’em! You can get as creative as you want here! I love mixing some hot sauce with blue cheese dressing for a classic Buffalo wing vibe, but Aldi’s Tikka Masala sauce is a simple and tasty way to go too!
Another great party side are my Jalapeno Poppers! Is there anything better than cream cheese, bacon, and roasted peppers? Nope. There is not.
Happy Super Bowl! Hope you enjoy the sports (and the commercials)!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Air fryer
- 12 Frozen Chicken wings, defrosted or however many your air fryer can hold
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Seasonings of choice. See the recipe notes for more ideas!
- Pat the wings down with a paper towel. If they are wet, they won’t get crispy!
- Toss the wings with all the spices.
- Preheat air fryer for 4 minutes at 360°
- Lay seasoned wings in a single layer in the air fryer basket
- Cook at 360° for 20 minutes. Flip the wings halfway through
- When there are about 4 minutes left, increase the temperature to 400° to make sure the wings get super crispy!
- While the wings are cooking mix the Tikka Masala sauce with the lemon juice. I like to warm it up either in saucepan (or just microwave it for 30 seconds) so I’m not adding warm wings to a cold sauce.
- When the wings are done, toss them in the sauce and EAT!
Crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
- 2.5 lbs Frozen party wings defrosted
- 1 tsp baking powder NOT SODA
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 250°
- Line baking sheet with foil, and set a wire rack on top.
- Combine baking POWDER, salt, garlic powder, pepper, and any other spices you like (see below for some seasoning/sauce variations)
- Pat the chicken wings completely dry and toss in the dry mix
- Place wings on the wire rack, making sure to not crowd them. Use 2 baking sheets if needed so that everything gets crispy!
- Bake at 250° for 20 minutes, then crank up the heat to 500° for another 20-25 minutes.
- Go ahead and turn on your fan, open some windows, get ready to turn off your smoke detector. Your oven will probably get smoky.
- When the wings are nice and crispy, take them out and sauce them to your liking!
*measurements are for 8 wings Buffalo Blue Cheese Wings:
Seasoning: Add 1 tsp paprika, dash (or more) cayenne pepper to the dry mix
Sauce: 2 tbsp hot sauce + 1 tbsp Bolthouse Farms Blue Cheese Dressing Garlic Parm Wings:
Seasoning: Add 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning to the dry mix
Sauce: Juice of 1/2 lemon, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese Tikka Masala Wings:
Seasoning: 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala
Sauce: 1/2 cup Aldi’s Tikka Masala sauce and juice of 1/2 lemon