November is basically over and this week it is (finally) going to actually be COLD here in Atlanta! I can eat some soup without getting the soup sweats! This week I am definitely making at least 1 soup out of the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers. Then maybe a pumpkin chili because I have a pie pumpkin I never used. I have no plans to make more pie after Thanksgiving! 4 pies for 7 people MIGHT have been too much pie. If you are rejoicing over Soup Season too, give my Butternut + Leek Soup a try!
It is a fall twist on the classic potato + leek soup and it is pure soupy coziness! It is so dang fast and easy and can be easily modified for a lot of different diets – vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free. The cauliflower makes it thick, smooth, and creamy without adding dairy or making a rue with flour. The trickiest parts are perhaps cleaning the leeks and cutting the squash. Here is a little video tutorial on how to handle the leeks. I’ve also sprouted my own leeks from the root ends so that I can make soups over and over (for less $$$). For more info on leeks, check out Happy DIY Home! Their Ultimate Guide to Growing Leeks has a ton of info!
I never feel like I’m doing cutting the squash correctly or efficiently. BUT since everything gets blended up it really doesn’t matter. Just cut the squash up small enough to cook quickly in the broth! You could even throw in a bag or 2 of frozen squash if you are running short on time.
In order to get that classic creamy soup texture, you will need an immersion blender/blender to puree the soup. If you are using a traditional blender be SO CAREFUL. Blending hot things in a closed blender can build up pressure and the soup can explode and splatter everywhere. I do not want you to get burned!
If you try this soup let me know what you think and share it with someone else who needs a big warm bowl of coziness 🙂 I have even more soups for you here if you are looking to stay warm all week!
Butternut + Leek Soup
- immersion blender
- 1 large leek cleaned and sliced (just the whites, not the greens)
- Olive oil 1-2 tbsp? I never measure it. Just drizzle into the pan
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 2, 14 oz cans of broth of choice I used chicken broth, but use vegetable broth to make this vegan/vegetarian
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 12 oz package of frozen cauliflower rice
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the sliced leeks, a pinch of salt, and thyme. Cook for a few minutes until the leeks are cooked through and translucent.
- Add in the diced butternut squash, broth, smashed garlic, cauliflower rice, and another (larger) pinch of salt. Bring everything to a boil.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the squash is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend everything together. Add pepper to taste see if more salt is needed.
- Garnish with whatever you would use in a potato + leek soup: chives, bacon, crispy sausage, yogurt, or sour cream.